The universe, the world, us = ChemistryActivity by Patricia Carabelli | added on Jan 04, 2011 | Uruguay
As an year round primary school project we will get engaged in learning about the universe, the world, us from a chemical point of view. This should allow primary school students to reflect about notions regarding diversity and whole
Place: Saint George´s School, Montevideo, Uruguay
Number of participants: 200 children from primary school (First grade - Sixth grade)
When: Throughout the school year (March- December)
What: During Science classes we will develop different activities for children, from a humanistic and ecological approach, trying to understand the existance of chemisty in our lives. We will:
- Reflect critically about science and problems encountered emphasizing the importance of human cooperation and safety.
- Observ and reflect about differente characteristics regarding water in order to understand its importance, composition and solute and solvent notions
- Observe and reflect about different characteristics of the air
- Carry out and discuss activities regarding cooking (for example by baking bread with and without yeast)
- Study the human body and some of the chemical reactions that take place in it (for example when breathing)
- Study the universe and chemical components in different planets/ understanding ways of knowing the existing chemical components in them
- Learn about the Sun, its chemical gases and solar energy.
- Work with measuring magnitudes
- Invite different people to give talks and demonstrations
- Study the biography of important scientists devoting special time to Marie Curie's, reflecting about the uses of radioactivity, effects and safety issues