- IYC Representative: Philippines
President, Philippine Federation of Chemistry Societies
Email Please login to view this email
Organizations:Philippine Federation of Chemistry Societies
President, Organic Chemistry Teachers Association
Dean, College of Science, University of Santo Tomas, Philippines
IYC Interests:Increase the public appreciation and understanding of chemistry
Encourage interest of young people in chemistry
Generate enthusiasm for the creative future of chemistry
Celebrate the role of women in chemistry
Alt email firstname.lastname@example.org
I am the current President of the Philippine Federation of Chemistry Societies (PFCS). There are 5 organizations under the federation, namely the Integrated Chemists of the Philippines (ICP), the Kapisanang Kimika ng Pilipinas (KKP), the Organic Chemistry Teachers Association (OCTA), the Philippine Association of Chemistry Teachers (PACT) and the Phil. Association of Chemistry Students (PACS).
In celebration of the International Year of Chemistry in 2011, the PFCS together with the 5 member organizations will conduct the following activities starting 2010:
A. Increase the public appreciation and understanding of chemistry
1. Chemistry on Wheels - activities on popularization of chemistry to high school s students in provinces and places outside metro manila. This will include training of HS teachers.
2. Poster competition on the IYC theme at primary (elementary), secondary level (high school), and tertiary level (University/college)
3. Partnering with chemical industry for media (TV, prints, etc) promotion to change image of chemistry to the general public.
B. Encourage interest of young people in chemistry
1. Science camp during summer in cooperation with the Science Education Institute of the Department of Science and Technology
2. Young Ambassador in Chemistry - joint activity of the PACT and Prof. Mei-Hung Chiu of the National Taiwan Normal University
C. Generate enthusiasm for the creative future of chemistry
1. the promotion of the IYC and its interests during the annual Philippine Chemistry Congress (PCC): 25th PCC on April 8-10, 2010 at Subic Bay Exhibition & Convention Center, Subic Bay Freeport Zone, Zambales , and the 26th PCC at Cebu, Philippines
D. Celebrate the role of women in chemistry
1. Accomplished and highly recognized women chemists of the Philippines will be featured monthly in local newspaper and on the PFCS website and newsletter as well as the official journal of the federation, KIMIKA.
2. Poster featuring Dr. Lourdes Cruz, a highly accomplished women chemist who was recently recognized as one of the L'Oreal-UNESCO Award for Women in Science. She symbolizes the significant role of woman in Chemistry.